Saturday 2 November 2013

These sorts of moments

"Everything I am today is because of you." Those were the words I said to my teacher Mr. John Leistler on my graduation day. My heart warmed up at the sight of a tear that he tried to hold back.

That day was two years ago. Up until today I feel the effect that my precious teacher had on me. And for every day yet to come I know I will always be grateful for what he has given me.

Mr. John was my AP Art History teacher. With him we studied the development of Art through time. We studied how to analyze artworks and dismantle them to release the message embedded in them by the artist. Mr. John however did not stop there, what he taught us was how to live. He was a guide and role model. He did not merely give us lessons in art, but through art he gave us lessons in life. Every day for 45 minutes my art history class would come together, everyone so attentive so ready to receive and give back. It was the best class I ever had.

Mr. John displays the beauty of teaching. Paulo Coelho wrote: "What is a teacher? I'll tell you: it isn't someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of her best in order to discover what she already knows." He inspired me, and many others to see beauty in things that we once thought were mundane. He sees that beauty in his students, he sees potential, and he helps them see it as well. That potential, once unveiled, creates beautiful things. That is why teaching is one of the most honorable jobs. Teaching is making the beauty that is in another, which is apparent to you, visible to them. It creates miracles.

Mr. John always says that if an artwork speaks to you, regardless of the meaning intended by the artist, then it serves its purpose. Art speaks to me. This is why I decided to start this blog. One of my favorite artists Leif Podhajsky said: "I've had moments where I have felt a part of every living thing that exists and that's ever existed, experienced such clarity and beauty that it shatters what you thought was possible. This is what I use to shape my work, trying to hang on and remember these sorts of moments." What he describes, is what I felt in my art history class, and this blog is my personal attempt to '

hang on and remember these sorts of moments.'

3 comments:

  1. As the teacher mentioned by the wonderful Jude in this debut blogpost, I can only say how excited I am to see what she is going to post. Jude is one of those thrilling students to teach and know. She will enliven and enrich any place she is in, and while she is thousands of miles away from me now, how delightful that she will have a blog to keep us all company. I look forward to many arty whispers!!

    ReplyDelete