Sunday 24 November 2013

Look Beyond What Your Eyes Can See

Self Portrait with Bandaged Ear by Vincent Van Gogh


This is Van Gogh, often known as the “tortured artist.” Its easy to notice the sense of frustration and melancholy in his work. Van Gogh’s art is a doorway to his heart. He led a tragic life, and eventually checked himself into a mental asylum. He is a leading figure of expressionism, the exploration of what is inside the mind and soul, instead of the depiction of what is apparent and obvious. Van Gogh’s death was self-inflicted at the age of 37. His art, however, lives till this very day.

Yesterday, I was in Starbucks studying. A man came and sat on the table next to me. He smiled; I smiled back. He asked me for a pen, I couldn't understand at first because of the way he spoke -  I couldn't tell what it was - he had a disability that made it difficult for him to talk and I could notice when he was standing that he had difficulty walking as well.

I gave him a pen. He took out a notebook and started writing down something. I was so curious to know what he was writing. I tried to get a peek, but he caught my eye and asked me "Are you studying hard?" we laughed and I said yes I have exams soon. He asked what I was working on, and out of curiosity I asked him the same question. His speaking was unclear yet understandable; "I have been trying to find a job for a really long time, but no one ever takes me seriously because of my disability. See, I have great ideas I just can't put them through, I have a masters degree from Dundee University. I am writing down some business idea for a product I am hoping to design, I just hope they'll take me seriously." He showed me his ideas and they were really good ones. Then he added, "People just don't see beyond my disability." I smiled and told him that’s a shame because his ideas are great, and went back to studying.

A while later the woman sitting on the table next, wanted to go to the toilet so as she was leaving she asked me to watch her stuff until she was back. He looked at me and said "Why didn't she ask me?" We had a friendly chat afterwards and he had to go home to finish off his business ideas because he was really excited about his meeting. I wished him luck, and said goodbye. But all day, I kept thinking about him.

What a Shame! That humans that are supposed to be the most intelligent beings, don't act accordingly a lot of the time. When many people see that man, they see a disabled man. That's it. They see nothing other than his physical orientation. They don't see the life that he is. Many will  fail to recognize the common humanity they share with him. They instantly classify him as different. And it's easy to make the mistake of thinking that what is different to what we are used to, is not “normal”, and therefore should be rejected. 

This incident reminded me of a book that's very dear to my heart; 'Tuesdays With Morrie' by Mitch Albom. Morrie is Albom’s old professor who is facing his death gracefully and with acceptance. As his body grows weaker, Morrie continues to feel alive; he says: “Giving to other people makes me feel alive. Not my car or my house. Not what I look like in the mirror. When I give my time, when I can make someone smile after they were feeling sad.”

The man I met yesterday reminded of Morrie. A weak body, but a strong, vibrant soul.  We are a species that is fascinated by illusions; we sit in awe in front of magicians, and Hollywood movies although we know that we are seeing is not real, we choose to believe it. The man's disability is an illusion, concealing what's inside; a life, a heart, a mind and a soul, just like mine, just like yours.

The body is but a vessel that holds life within it. It is a grave mistake to forget our shared humanity, to think of someone as different, not normal, thus not worthy of a chance. There’s a whole new dimension to the person when you look within. When you go past what is on the surface and dig deeper,you won't just understand others, but  you’ll also find yourself in others. You'll find a link that connects all humans, a reminder of our equality.

Van Gogh only became famous after his death. During his life, he was lonely in the mental asylum, and people probably saw nothing in him other than his mental illness. Now we see what was beyond; a beautiful and inspiring collection of artworks created by a great man, with a creative mind.

Van Gogh’s self-portrait whispers, look beyond what your eyes can see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment